Sunday, October 2, 2011


Sherine, 20"x16", oil on linen

Sherine teaches various communications classes.

Sherine was scheduled to pose for us on February 2,
but the infamous Blizzard of 2011 shut down the school
(and the much of the city) and we had to cancel the session. So here she is, rescheduled nearly a month later.


As a guest model, she offered us a fun challenge with her unique skin color of Egyptian ethnicity. Painting Sherine,
for whatever reason, I decided to start off by completely finishing her left eye–the focal point–and then worked my way around it.


After the session, as I was moving my easel back away from the model stand, the painting fell off from the easel, scraped against the edge of my palette and landed on the floor face down. I quickly picked it up and inspected the damage, but the damage wasn't as bad as I feared. I think it had to do with the fact that I painted it rather thinly. But still I had to stay behind after the session and make some repairs from memory.

2 comments:

Kristin M said...

This is beautiful, Don!

THE MAN FRIDAY said...

Thanks, Kristin.
I need to catch up on the rest of the overdue blog entries soon...