Sunday, December 18, 2011

First session of the Fall 2011 semester.





A rather small group gathered to paint a new member, Lucas.



Lucas Bianchi, 12" x 12", oil on canvas

Lucas is a new member of the club who's also been coming to the Open Studio Session, wanting to learn how to paint in oil.

From the beginning, Lucas maintained an intense gaze while keeping his chin firmly pulled in and looking intensely up toward the ceiling far ahead. I was afraid he would not be able to maintain the pose throughout the session, but overall he came back to more or less the same pose after each break. I think it was the first time we had anyone with that kind of obvious upward gaze while posing. I thought to myself, "It is going to be interesting. Let's see what kind of expression I can bring to the painting here."

At the end of the painting, Lucas asked me when I'd finish his hat. I just smiled at him without answering. I felt that if I finished the hat, it could easily look more like a portrait, and I didn't want that from this painting. Also, if I did, then I would probably have felt obligated to do something more to the background. So I just left it half blank. I think the unfinished hat worked out better with the vignette of his shirt.

No comments: