Wednesday, December 21, 2011


Tony Thomas, 12" x 12", oil on linen

I couldn't get to the session until almost an hour into it because of a lengthy department meeting where we discussed that often instructors have to spend too much time outside of painting/drawing/sculpting/teaching due to other administrative duties--such as meetings. I was very anxious to come out of the meeting and paint, so when I finally joined the club late, I was a bit frustrated and unsettled.

Considering this, I was surprised to have come up with a painting that I am satisfied with. Though this painting doesn't have much flair or a complex color scheme, what I like about it is that it simply conveys the gesture and sense of presence that I associate with Tony. It's a look that I often see when he is sitting in a chair in the faculty lounge listening to others.
No fancy colors, no photographic details. It simply is him.

No comments: